Pork strips with egusi sauce and spinach - Jonathan Nsogo
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- 200 g pumpkin seeds
- 250 g spinach
- Palm oil
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 2 onions
- 500 g pork strips
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 stock cube (meat or vegetable)
- 400 g penne or other pasta
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
1. Chop the onions, garlic and ginger. Finely dice the tomatoes. Mix the pumpkin seeds with some water in a blender to make a paste. Set these aside.
2. Heat a saucepan with a little palm oil and fry the onions, garlic and ginger. Add the diced tomatoes and fry for a while, then add the stock cube, put the lid on the pot and simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.
3. Stir in the chopped red pepper. Season with salt and pepper and simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes. Then add the pumpkin seed mixture and the spinach, stir-frying for another 3 minutes, until the spinach has wilted. Boil the penne in salted water until al dente.
4. Briefly fry the pork strips over high heat, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with half the spring onion. Mix the meat with the sauce and serve with the pasta, sprinkle with the remaining spring onion and serve immediately.
Working for big companies on both Belgian and international markets, we like to remember where our roots are. No matter how strongly we grow, we keep doing all we can for our local butchers as well. Jonathan, in turn, ensures that carcasses and other products are cut to size for our customers. With five years of experience behind him, he has since become a permanent fixture at Westvlees. The dish he presents to us today is sure to make your mouth water!