M'touem - Mohammed Khatir
25 minutes + 1 hour simmering
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- 500 g pork
- 300 g minced meat
- 1 egg white
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 400 g chickpeas
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- Olive oil and butter, for frying
- 120 g pearl couscous
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley or coriander
- Tomato concentrate
1. Fry the meat in oil and butter. Press half the garlic with pepper, paprika and cumin. Deglaze the pan (or tajine) with 2 tbsp water. Stir-fry for a few minutes and then add the tomato concentrate, salt and chickpeas. Top up with water until everything is submerged. Cover and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes.
2. Mix the minced meat with the rest of the garlic, a little salt and 1 egg white until you have a homogeneous mas. Shape into balls.
3. Add the meatballs to the stew and simmer for another 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the couscous as instructed on the package. Season with salt, pepper and chopped parsley or coriander.
Mohammed has been part of the Belgian Pork Group family for ten years now. You can find him at Lavameat, where he is the manager of the brining department. Smoked and cooked delicacies such as tenderloin and roasted meats from the Ardennes no longer hold any secrets for him. Just like this special recipe presented to us by Mohammed. The typical Algerian recipe made a huge impression at his wedding. He commemorates this event every year when he prepares this special dish for his entire family during Ramadan.